About Us
What's New
 From the Driver's Seat
Thoughts from Barb
Our House 
Old What's New
Main Menu
Message Board
E-Mail us
An Alternative Lifestyle--Living and Traveling
Full-time in a Recreational Vehicle
From the June 1991 issue of Movin' On 

Yosemite National Park

On May 14, signs went up in the ranger station---"WINTER STORM  WARNING—MAY 17 AND MAY 18." 

Friday, May 17 (my birthday), we had a day off. Because of the change in the campground, we took off to explore some of the out-of- park scenery. We had a most enjoyable day driving some remote roads in the nearby national forest. And for the first time since we arrived in the area, we could take advantage of the Friday night dinner at the Elks Club in Oakhurst. The pouring rain we endured as we left Oakhurst, was heavy snow by the time we were back at camp. So they were right---it was winter again. Our awning was sagging with the heavy wet snow. We had just taken care of that and settled down to wait out the storm when a ranger knocked on our door. He brought us a message to call the Oak Flat entrance station; our son was there waiting for our call. I knew it must have been Robert coming from San Francisco to surprise me for my birthday. I was touched, but worried at the same time; the roads were so dangerous. I called immediately, and the rangers searched for him. While I waited, I could hear how busy they were. I overheard them telling people they could only get into the park with chains on, and that they had to wait and follow the snow plow. It sounded like mass confusion there, and when Karen got back on the phone, she reported that they couldn't find him. 

I knew he couldn't get into the park because he didn't have chains and hoped he had gone far away from the snow. We waited  up until midnight, just in case he got through. It is about 45 miles from Big Oak Flat to the Valley and on to Wawona (most of it at 6,000 feet). When it snows, it gets bad on that road. 

In the morning it was no better. You'd expect snow, rain, and cold in winter, but not on May 18. Sunday, the storm broke and I was able to reach Robert on his ship at the Coast Guard Station. He was okay and had turned around just before we got the message. Since we had Monday and Tuesday off, we decided to take off and go to San Francisco to visit him. In no time, we had a suitcase packed and were off. It felt so good to be away from the campground, and I wanted to see Robert. He had been so near---yet so far away. We were 80 miles from our destination and were getting onto the expressway to join the heavy traffic when Ron shifted down and lost first and second gears. There was an exit right away, so we got off and headed back to the park. There was no way we could maneuver the hills of San Francisco with only third and fourth gear (also no reverse). We  had no way of knowing what was going to drop next, and it was Sunday; no place would be open.  It was very disappointing, and we rode in silence for miles. I cried; we were so close again. But, we came up with the idea of taking a vacation after we were finished in the campground before we started in the Pioneer Center. The car got fixed by our trusty friends at Gordon's; it was just the linkage, but took a week to get the parts. 

So here we are in Coarsegold; I'll get the Newsletters out and in the mail by Tuesday the 4th; then we will take our house and go to San Francisco. We are going to make it, Robert! 

 Copyright © 1999, Movin' On with Ron & BarbTM- All Rights Reserved