About Us
What's New
 From the Driver's Seat
Thoughts from Barb
Our House 
Old What's New
Main Menu
Message Board
E-Mail us

volume 2                         September 1991                            number 8

New Pull Toy
for the Hofmeisters
Can you believe it?  Ron and Barb got rid of the poor ole Horizon. On August 14th they took possession of a new 1991 white Toyota pick up truck complete with pretty white shell (cap or canopy what ever you want to call it). It was all wired up for towing and the Yakima bike rackswere firmly in place. 

Just a few days after the last newsletter went out so did the car. This time it was a wiring problem - a short in the fan caused wires to burn. Result - car died. Ron and Barb decided that they would let the car sit for the two weeks they had left and then simply tow it out of Yosemite. Ron made an appointment at a Chrysler dealer in Lodi, California which was a fair sized town near their first destination (Isleton, CA). The car was delivered by 8 am on  Monday, July 29th but not repaired until Wednesday the 31st (parts had to be ordered). The cost including three hours of work to find the short amounted to $250.00. Once repaired, Ron remarked that the ole car seemed to be in real good condition now - nothing else could possibly go wrong. Barb shook her head - she had heard that one before. 

They drove that brown bomb all over Napa Valley and into San Francisco, towed it up to the Redwoods and drove all around that area - even on some pretty raw dirt roads. It seemed ok. 

On Sunday, August 11, the Hofmeisters crossed the boarder into Oregon and set up camp in a Coast to Coast campground in Talent. Since it was early in the day, they took off to explore the surrounding area. Ashland seemed to be the most interesting and the closest so they headed there, parked and walked around. But as they were leaving, Ron put the car into reverse and let out the clutch to hear some awful noises and a lot of jerking. It was happening again - clutch or transmission or both. They looked at each other and immediately decided to drive to Medford and look in the car lots. Ron had originally thought of waiting until they got to Eugene (larger city) and was even thinking they could get by without buying a new vehicle until that moment. 

It was easy to see that Medford was a good sized town with lots of different car companies -The big three and all the Japanese were there. They were browsing in the Toyota lot when to their surprise a salesman appeared. Unlike Michigan, dealerships are open on Saturday and Sunday. After talking a little and getting a base price, they left promising to return on Monday. They drove around the corner to the Nissan dealer and talked to the salesmen there. Both had nice trucks and the price was about what Ron had figured. 

Early Monday morning Barb and Ron were at the Toyota dealer. The price talks began and went on till noon. Since the truck was stripped down and they wanted air, radio, didn't like the vinyl seats and really wanted carpeting, deals had to be made. Then the dealer drove the Horizon to give a trade in price. $200.00 was all they were willing to give for it (they were only going to wholesale it). Ron said "NO, all the new parts are worth more". In true salesmen fashion, he asked what Ron needed. "$500.00", Ron said. There was a conference somewhere and when the salesman returned he said $400.00 was his very best but he juggled something else somewhere and the bottom line was now acceptable to Ron. They had planned to talk to the Nissan dealer before settling on anything but Ron really preferred the Toyota and now that the price was what he wanted gave the go ahead. 

Salesman Rich took the pair to Kountry Kampers to pick out the canopy but later when they went to pick it up, the off white top clashed badly with the stark white of the truck. Barb had seen Truck Tops Plus and went there. Julie was super and they got a much better top and much better information on installing the bike rack on the canopy. Originally they had been told that their bike rack couldn't be installed on a fiberglass shell so they were going to have to purchase some new hardware for the rack at a cost of $199.00. Julie, fixed them up for only $45.00 for rain gutters, guaranteed the work for the life of the truck and the bike rack fit nicely. 

By calling the RV dealers advertised in Trailer Life campground directory they found that Mike at Triple A RV would be able to wire the new truck for towing and could squeeze them into their busy schedule. The job they did was very professional - 100% better than the job that had been done on the Horizon. Total cost was $214.00. 

Barb said it was fun getting the back end all organized and they enjoyed the air conditioning since the temperature was nearly 100 every day. They said it was even fun to be able to listen to a radio - the one in the Horizon broke long ago. But both agree that the best part is knowing that they have dependable transportation. Ron was a little nostalgic about that old Horizon. He hadn't had a new car in a long time when he bought it in 1983. Barb remembers that she had to furnish transportation on their first date - October 5, 1983 - he took delivery of his car the next day. At any rate this closes the book on the ole Horizon. 

by Ron

Oregon is great, but if we don't start moving soon, our travels to Montana and Wyoming might be cold. 

Sometimes I think that TV conditions people to be spectators. I noticed at the Pioneer History Center that many just wanted to be entertained without joining in the fun of going back in time. 

I did something last week that I have always wanted to do -- attend a minor league baseball game. Barb and I enjoyed watching the Bend Bucks play Southern Oregon in the Northwest Class A League. These youngsters are in their first year of professional ball and give it everything. We saw a mixture of major league plays and some rookie mistakes. It was a fun evening. 

I think that I am losing my competitive edge. I know that I left some money on the table when negotiating for the new Toyota. Gotta work on that. 

How is the book coming?  Glad you asked. The preface, table of contents and two sample chapters will go to a publisher by the end of September. Publishers prefer to work that way. In the meantime, we can finish it up while our work is being reviewed. 

If this book ever gets published (and it will), I can thank Judy Richards and Nancy Joy because they bug me about it all the time. It keeps me going. 

Did you know that California is now taxing snacks and cookies. Boy, that really hit Barb hard. Just kidding! 

Visiting the Beaver Motorhome Plant in Bend can really cause a fella to dream. 

From Yosemite to Oregon
It was tough to leave Yosemite. e had made so many friends and really loved our work in the History Center.Our last night in Wawona was very special. We attended our last barn dance in the old gray barn, and it was all the more special because Mary and Stacy (those Crane Flat girls) came all the way from their campground to see us. The barn dances were really fun since Ron and I were finally getting the hang of it all, but that night it was mixed with lots of tears and much sadness as the evening came to a close. When the dance was over, we walked through the Pioneer History Center and up our hill one last time. And on Sunday morning, July 28, we pulled out of that special campsite at about 10 a.m. We could see the pioneers getting ready to open up as we drove on down the road and I cried again. It had been a wonderful summer full of many great memories. 

Our drive was easy---only four hours and we arrived at a Kampgrounds Of America (KOA) campground in Lodi at about two in the afternoon. We choose this private campground because it was close to the Plymouth dealer where we had an appointment to deliver the car at 8 a.m. Monday.

Once we had the car taken care of, we went to our new home for a week---a CCC in Isleton. We were quite surprised at the area. Lots of waterways; a brochure states that there are over 1,000 miles of waterways in the Sacramento Delta. We choose the area because it was near Robert's apartment and not far from San Francisco and Napa Valley. We were hungry to do some real sightseeing, but were still without wheels so Tuesday morning, we jumped on our bikes and explored 20 miles along the Levee. It was great riding, and we hadn't done such a ride in months. It felt good!! On Wednesday, we got up early, drove the car to Lodi, waited for the fan to be installed, shopped at a farmer's market, took the food home, put it away, and took off for Napa Valley. It was fantastic to be able to do some touring. Thursday, we stayed close to home, did laundry, and relaxed. Robert and Dean came over for dinner and we celebrated Robert's birthday one day early. Friday we took off again for Napa Valley. That time we knew what we were doing. 

Napa Valley, is that area of California which begins at San Pablo Bay, just northeast of San Francisco, and continues north about 30 miles. This narrow valley (from one to five miles wide) is protected by low mountains on the east and west and is kissed by the bay area fog. If you stop in at the visitor center in the town of Napa Valley, south end of the valley, you can pick up a detailed map which outlines the only two north-south routes through the valley and shows each winerie's location. On the back there is a list of each winerie's services, hours, whether or not they give tours, etc. We were overwhelmed. There are over 200 wineries in the valley. Where does one start? We really arrived too late to do much the first day and the gal at the visitor center suggested we tour one winery which was near by. Domaine Chandon Winery is owned by a French company and gave a very informative tour. We learned all about the Pinot Noir grape which grows best in the southern part of the valley. Valley temperatures can vary as much as 10-12 degrees from one end of the valley to the other. We also learned about the fermentation process for the champaign made at that winery. We were all set for a tasting session at the end of the tour and were surprised to find that they do not offer tastes; you may buy a glass of champaign and enjoy some free crackers and cheese. We are not fond of sparkling wines anyway, so we said adieu. 

Looking at the hours of the other wineries, we realized that the tour had left us with little remaining time. One that was still open was De Moor Winery. There were no tours there, but after buying a souvenir wine glass for $1.50, we could taste the wines they were featuring. We did and liked their Chenin Blanc enough to buy two bottles. We stopped at another winery, but I don't even remember the name. It wasn't very memorable, and we drove the length of the valley just looking out at the neat rows of grape vines on the sides of the hills. The mist was rolling in and it looked as pretty as a soft French painting. When we got to St. Helena at the northern end of the valley, we saw the BIG wineries --- Christian Brothers, Beringer, and Krug. Their buildings were elegant and large with paths through lush flower gardens. We knew we had to come back. 

On Friday, we arrived in time for the first tour at Christian Brothers Winery. What a class operation. This tour was historical---telling how the religious order used to have a dairy farm but realized there was more money to be made in wine. During prohibition, they had no problem staying in business because they sold wines for communion. The joke was that people turned to religion (at least communion) more during that time. When the tour ended, we found ourselves in an exquisitely furnished lounge and were taught the fine art of wine tasting; it was really quite a lesson. Three wines were tasted, starting with a dry white, then semi-dry red, and ending with a dessert wine. From there, we hurried over to the Krug Winery for the 11a.m. tour; they only have three tours a day. Just across the street, the Charles Krug Winery has the distinction of being the oldest winery still in operation. This tour was a little historical but concentrated more on the making of the wine. Again, at the end, we had another lesson (a little different) in wine tasting and were able to sample three different wines. These tours are great if you have ever been apprehensive about opening wine bottles. They do a good job of showing you how to do it properly and with the least amount of effort. 

For lunch we went into St. Helena and chose to eat at the Spring Street Restaurant. It was charming and the pasta salad was delicious. Our last tour of the day was at the Beringer Winery and again we were impressed with all we learned and the class of the operation. If you ever get a chance to go to Napa Valley, plan on a whole day at least, and I would suggest starting with the three I just mentioned. If there is time, stop at any of the others. 

Saturday morning early, we drove to San Francisco to see Robert and the Coast Guard Cutter Sherman off. It was sad to say goodbye again, and I realized that saying goodbye is a part of our lifestyle. It was interesting to see some of what goes on when a ship leaves port. Ron remarked that he'd like to see what is involved in getting David's ship (the aircraft carrier Eisenhower) underway. 

Since we were already in town, we did some shopping in Mc Donald's Book Store. They boast being the largest used book dealer in town and I found what I wanted, an out-of-print copy of Lady Bird Johnson's A White House Diary. I can now read up on her before we go to the ranch. At the computer store I got the new 5.0 version of MS DOS and at Stacy's Book Store, a big modern bookstore with every kind of book in the world, we bought Means of Ascent (LBJ history). 

We left Isleton on Sunday and headed north on US 101. Our first stop was near the lumbering town of Garberville. Since it was only to be a one night stop, we immediately hopped in the car to do a little touring. The drive on a narrow mountain road west to Shelter Cove was a treat. It is right on the ocean. What a place!! What a view!! For dinner we ate a yummy hamburg and french fries at The Blue Moon Saloon back in Garberville. It was fun to eavesdrop on all the local conversation and we met Von Aie. She told us to be sure and stop in Phillipsville on our way out in the morning and eat breakfast at her mom's place (Road Runner Cafe). We don't normally stop for breakfast but decided we would this time, and enjoyed a good breakfast and lots of good conversation with her mom and step-father. They dream of full-timing as soon as their youngest graduates. We said we would tell them when the book is ready. 

After breakfast the drive was short and easy. We stayed on US 101 until we saw the sign for Ferndale. Many people told us not to miss this town even though it meant going out of our way (seven miles west of 101). Totally charming and beautifully Victorian is the best way to describe the town. Each and every house is well preserved, brightly painted, and adorned with well manicured yards. And the three block downtown area was just as interesting. We parked the motorhome and car in a free lot designed for RVs and walked the streets. The first store we visited supplied us with a map and description of each of the shops. In our travels, we have visited many towns and we look in many stores that seem to have the same merchandise, but these stores and their goods were unique. The Mercantile was one of the highlights of the town. It was like going into a museum but everything was really for sale. I have no idea where they  came from, but you could buy such things as Fels Naphtha soap, or liniments, old buttons, hardware, shoes (all old fashioned), and candy. Remember those strips of paper that held lots of colored candy dots that we used to buy for a penny? They sold those too but now the price is 30 cents. 

Ferndale has become famous in the last 30 years for their annual Kinetic Sculpture Race held over the Memorial Day weekend. One enters the race by building some sort of contraption that can be pedaled. There is a small museum in town where many of the past sculptures are on display. We were amazed at the imagination of some and swore we were in some Disney movie lot. Hobart Brown, local sculptor, started this race when he built a five wheel contraption out of his son's tricycle and a few in town thought they could build something better. The race was on and last year some 54 strange contrivances from six states entered. Brown has a store in town. As soon as we entered the shop, we could tell he was a genius and maybe a bit crazy too. He lives up above the store and invites any who want to see his apartment, to do so. For a one dollar donation you can just walk up stairs and look around. We did, but it sure felt strange to walk through the apartment when no one was there. It looked like something you'd see in a Disney movie --- art (junk?) here and there. Interesting! 

Eureka is a large city in Northern California right on Hwy 101. Although not nearly as neat and pretty as Ferndale, we did enjoy riding our bikes up and down the streets admiring all the pretty houses. The thing everyone must do while in Eureka is eat at the Samoa Cook House. It is the last surviving lumberman's cook house in the west and the food is both plentiful and tasty. When we arrived for lunch, we were seated at a long table. With the clanging of pots and pans, it was noisy but all part of the atmosphere. There's no menu ---you get what is being served and it is all family style; the beginning was a tureen of soup, a big bowl of salad, and a basket heaped with homemade bread ---big thick slices. Lunch was a breaded pork chop, potatoes, gravy, vegetables, and dessert. 

Redwood  National Park weaves in and out of private and state park lands in the northern part of California. The park begins about 16 miles south of Oregon and runs down the coast for about 50 miles. The tall trees are everywhere and we were impressed with the difference between these and their cousin ---the Giant Sequoia. They do grow taller but most impressive was the denseness of the forest. We went on an informative ranger walk, spent time in the visitor centers, and took a couple of hikes on our own. One was to see the tallest trees in the world. The hike down was easy; coming up was tough---very steep, but it was well worth it all. 

We camped in a CC campground at Klamath and did a lot of driving. One very special treat was dining at the Requa Inn. It was very elegant, the food was superb, and the owners very friendly. This out-of-the-way place should be a must on everyone's list. After dinner, we took a drive along the rugged coast and watched the fog roll in as the sun set. 

Oregon   On August 11, we crossed the border into Oregon and loved everything we saw there. The people were friendly and it was fun to shop there because there is no sales tax. We entered the state on Hwy 199 and drove through Cave Junction; they were having some sort of festival and it looked like fun. From there we went through Grants Pass and southeast to Talent, a suburb of Medford, where we had reservations at a CCC. 

Ashland, just south of Talent, is famous for their summer Shakespeare plays. They have three theaters and all summer long run three different Shakespearean plays. One theater is out-of-doors, and we marveled at the stage. The theaters take turns having a matinee, so they have four performances a day. We inquired about getting tickets but were told they are always sold out for two weeks. From all appearances it looked like a scholarly town with many art and book stores. The shops were very expensive too. Many classical concerts are held during the summer months in the beautiful city park. 

Jacksonville is a lovely historic old mining town full of fun shops and good places to eat, just a short distance from Medford. We spent a whole day there. We ate lunch on the patio at Bella Union (four star), toured the town on Sam's Trolley, browsed the many shops, spent at least one hour in the museum which was in the old court house, and visited the Beekman house. This house was owned by one of the prominent citizens of the day and is now open as living history. Since we had just spent two months in living history, we thought it would be fun to see how someone else does it. Ron and I both felt that we had truly gone back in time. The maid greeted us and showed us the kitchen and her room. Then we met Mrs. Beekman who showed us the parlor and answered our questions about her life. Selznick couldn't have cast a more perfect looking lady to play the part of this elderly woman from 1911. To help us tour the upstairs of the house, we were introduced to her niece. It was wonderful! 

Crater Lake National Park is less than 100 miles northeast of Medford, so it was another easy drive. The campground was one of the nicest national park campgrounds we had ever been in. The spaces were very wide and the trees made a nice privacy fence on three sides. The lake is a wonder. It was a volcano. About 7,000 years ago it erupted with 42 times the force of Mt. St. Helen and the mountain caved in on itself. Over the years, the snow that fell there has melted and filled up the lake. This park gets an average of 50 feet of snow annually and winter is from the end of September to mid June. The lake is the bluest blue I have ever seen. It is the color of a bottle of ink. This very clear lake is 1,932 feet deep at its deepest. We hiked down to the lake edge (one mile---very steep) and took the ranger guided boat trip around the lake. The hike back up was equal to hiking up 150 flights of stairs to the 75th floor of a building. It was not an easy trip but well worth it. We had intended to ride our bikes around the lake (33 miles), but the grades were much too steep for me. It was either going up (6 percent grades for up to two miles) or going down; there was no level ground. Even with all the hiking, the three days that we spent there were very restful. 

La Pine and Bend are just north of Crater Lake on Hwy 97. This central part of Oregon is high desert. Elevation in Bend is about 3,500 feet and it is surrounded by snow capped mountains. Mt. Bachelor is world famous for skiing, and we made a little trip there to check out the chair lifts. It was warm (75 degrees) when we started up the chair lift, but it was about 50 degrees and windy when we got to the top and yes, there was snow still up there. I just can't get over seeing snow so late in August. 

The High Desert Museum should be a must on anyone's list. It is located just a few miles south of town and when you go, allow several hours to see it all. There are many interesting displays on history and geography and every half hour, they have a demonstration of something. We particularly enjoyed a half hour program on birds of prey. This part of Oregon does not get the rain and mist that the coast does but there is no shortage of water here; everyone is watering lawns day and night and the rivers are full and fast. Several National Forests surround the area and there are many things to see and do here. Lakes and rivers are great for fishing, boating, and rafting. One can enjoy everything from hiking to antique shopping. We are in Bend as I write this. We'll have the newsletter printed here. I also had a physical here, and we both had our eyes examined and have new glasses. If I had to choose a place to live (right now) I would pick Bend. The people, the town, the facilities, the culture, everything is here. It is a town of about 20,000 people and even though there is a mall and many of the typical stores on the main drag (US 97), there is a downtown and not one store is vacant. And it is not real easy to get downtown because of the one-way streets and the fact that it is off the beaten path. There are three square blocks of all kinds of stores that people need. Not tourist stuff but real shops. Downtown is alive and there is ample parking. There is a medical center here with 36 doctors, x-ray, lab, pharmacy, and right across the street from the very modern hospital. 

So that is what we have been seeing these last few weeks. We plan to get over to Oregon's coast when we leave here on Friday, September 6, and from there we will head to Washington. There are so many things to see and places to go. 

It's a Matter of Attitude 

When it rains do you pout and scream or do you snuggle up in a bunch of pillows and read a book? It's that old question--is half a glass of water half full or half empty? It's simply a matter of attitude. 

When many people find out that we are full-timers, they first ask how we get our mail or how we keep in touch with family and friends. That problem isn't nearly as complicated as most assume so then they go on to question other aspects of our life. What do you do about church, doctors, banking, etc? The list is endless. Recently I was asked what we would do if we were faced with a serious medical problem that required extensive treatment somewhere. I surprised myself with the answer.

If Ron or I had to be treated for something like cancer, I would ask where in the whole United States the best treatment center is and go there. Most have places to park RVs right near the facility. And if we decided to go to yet another one (no matter where), we would take off. We can go from Maine to California in a short time and stay as long as we need to. So you see this lifestyle has an advantage if you have the right attitude.

Because the Labor Day holiday was approaching, we decided to stay out of the mainstream tourist areas and get some things done. I needed a physical, and we needed to get our eyes examined, and so on. As soon as we arrived in La Pine (just 20 miles south of Bend) [Oregon], I checked out the "Physicians" section of the phone book and noticed that the Bend Memorial Clinic had a satellite clinic in La Pine. I called (it was a Wednesday) and got an appointment with Dr. Laurie Ponte on Thursday. Although they knew of our lifestyle, I was treated like I was a long time patient. 

Proving what a small world it is, when I gave Dr. Ponte my medical records from Michigan State University (MSU), she said "I graduated from MSU." One thing led to another and I discovered that she is from Ypsilanti, Michigan, and actually attended both rival schools--University of Michigan and MSU. But the important thing is, she took a real interest in my physical being and asked if I'd be willing to have a pulmonary function test and see a pulmonologist for my breathing problems. Knowing that we were going to be here only a short time, Linda (the nurse) set up all appointments in the next few days. Wherever I went, doctors and technicians went out of their way to squeeze me in, but at no time did I ever feel that I had been crowded in. I was always given all the time I needed for the exam or whatever. I just couldn't get over the care and attention I was given and they knew I wouldn't be in their care again.

I have never worried about getting health care, and this experience proves my theory. Quite frankly, I finally got some relief from a problem that has plagued me from way back before we went on the road. A forced second opinion didn't hurt--in fact, it helped. 

There is a way to handle every aspect of our lifestyle, but if it is looked upon as a hassle, then it will be unbearable. Every time we come to a new town we get a thrill at the prospect of making new acquaintances. There is always a new map to study and new stores to visit. Each grocery store is a fun experience. We make a game out of finding the items we are looking for. I can't tell you in how many different sections we have found powdered milk. We know that we are going to get lost in every new town and grocery store. We laugh about it and cheer when we don't. We ask questions of clerks (where is this street or that store) and sometimes meet new friends in doing so.

You know how we get our mail, but you may not realize that mail is more exciting now than it was when we were in Haslett. We received few letters then. Now we get lots of letters from our good friends, and when it comes in a bunch once a week, it is like Christmas for us. We sit and savor each and every letter, and we don't have to deal with the junk mail. Life can be an adventure or a nightmare. It is simply a matter of attitude. 

  This 'N That
by Barb

I am so glad that Ron is not George anymore. He really was getting a bit carried away with being a 1915 man. I honestly think he enjoyed being chauvinistic. If he said "nothing's too good for the little woman," one more time I was going to hit him. Oh and he kept saying things like women can't understand complicated things like voting etc. He is ok now that we are away from the History Center - thank goodness. 

We keep checking the answering service every time we go past a telephone these days. We are anxiously awaiting new grandchildren. Ron's daughter Susie and her husband Ross are due any day and my son Mark and his wife Ana are due late this month. We got news recently that my son Jim and his wife Sue are expecting again in February. New babies are so exciting. 

Jim and Sue were very thoughtful to send us a video tape of a day in the life of 18 month old Kristopher. Of course we would rather have been there with him but England is a long way away. He sure is cute and it is something we will cherish. We will gladly accept videos from anyone. It is a neat way to keep up with growing children or anyone. 

Lodi, California has an ordinance that prohibits smoking in any restaurant. Wow!  What a treat that was. 

While we were eating dinner at Ernie's Bar and Grill in Isleton, California, I tried to see all the pictures hanging on all the walls. So many were framed newspaper clippings about a flood they had. Suddenly I was REALLY looking at a large framed poster that was on the wall in front of me. It depicted a late 1800's railroad scene and across the top was printed  "Purchase tickets via Erie Railway - an American Railway". On the bottom was written "Scene at Hornells- ville. Erie Railway". And right on the front of one of the steam engines in big letters was "New York". I was born in Hornell, New York, and my grandfather was an engineer on that railroad. I can remember him taking me down to the yard -that very yard that I was looking up at in the poster. Several Uncles and my other grandfather worked on that railroad too. Here I was all the way out in California and I find that poster. It really is a small world. 

Oregon likes bikers. It is evident when looking at all the brochures and maps that they put our for bikers. Do you know that it is legal to ride a bike on the interstate freeways here?  Most of the major roads have six foot paved shoulders marked as bike routes. 

Oregon is very conscious about the environment. When grocery shopping here, do not expect plastic bags. They simply don't have them - except for the little ones for wet produce and meats. It is a paper bag state. 

Granddaughters Mary and Erika are starting school this year and that got me to thinking about how much we change as we get older. "For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under Heaven", Ecclesiastes 3:1. When my kids were home, I loved to bake cookies garden and crochet etc. Son Mark asked me to make him an afghan. I agreed to make a small one for the new baby but this will be the last one I will make. I have substituted hiking, biking, visiting museums and such for the domestics I used to love. Sorry kids and don't expect homemade cookies in my house any more. I have found that store bought cookies are good and leave me free for lots of adventures. 

We are in a luxury campground this Labor Day weekend. (Coast to Coast campgrounds reserve their campgrounds for their local members on holiday weekends.)  Crown Villa RV Park in Bend has huge 60 foot wide sites, individual storage buildings for each site, grass like you would see on the best golf course, nice paved pads but the cost isn't that bad. We got a weekly rate of $120.00 (approx $18.00 per day). Most of the RVs here are of the very large and expensive type. Many are from the Beaver Coach Company and from what we learned on our tour, even their Baronet, Contessa and Marquis start at about $200,000. There is a lot of money in this campground. But there is one thing missing. It is not friendly like the CC campgrounds are. 

All this beautiful grass here reminds me that we haven't played golf in ages. I am looking forward to playing soon. 

Gee fans I need to apologize that "Interesting People" is not in this month's newsletter. It is not that we didn't meet interesting people because we did. This reporter just wasn't on the ball and I didn't conduct interviews and take pictures. Wish I could have shared about John and Mary Lou Debinski of Manton, Michigan. We met them in the Klamath CCC and they were on their way back home after having visited Alaska. They have two motorhomes - a big bus type (Roamin' Villa) that John built and a small Class C that they bought used just for the Alaska trip. We were so busy visiting the one night we had with them, that I didn't do my job. 

Then there was Ken and Marion Koch from Port Huron, Michigan whom we met while biking around the campground at Crater Lake National Park. We must have talked for an hour leaning against our bikes. And Howard and Pauline Parks from Ione, California. He and I talked newsletters for at least an hour. And last but not least Gene and Linda Lansford from Longview Texas. They are getting ready to fulltime and just traded in a fifth wheel for a big Safari motorhome. We just didn't have enough time to talk with them either. 

I could have written about the many wonderful people we have met here in Bend too:  Dr Ponte, her nurse Linda, Dr Harless, his nurse Margo, Barbara at Bond Street Optics, and dynamic Reverend Andrew Barkley from Trinity Lutheran Church in Bend (he is from Saginaw, Michigan). I'll do better next month. 

National Park Quiz

1. Redwood National park was established in (a) 1906, (b) 1932, (c) 1968 ? 

2. The tallest tree in the world can be seen at Redwood National Park in northern California. How tall is it?  (a) 304 3/4 ft, (b) 335 ft, (c) 376 4/5 ft. 

3. Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the United States and the seventh deepest lake in the world. How deep is it at its deepest? 

4. Crater Lake seldom freezes because it is so deep it retains much of it's heat. What is the average depth of the lake and what year did it freeze for three months? 

5. When Mt Mazama erupted about 6,850 years ago, ash from its eruptions scattered over 8 states and 3 Canadian provinces.  5,000 square miles were covered with six inches of ash. Where is Mt Mazama? 


1. (c)1968 with 48,000 acres added in1978. 
2. (b) 376 4/5 and its circumference is 44 feet.
3. 1932 feet 
4. 1500 feet and 1949 
5. Crater Lake is the cavity left when Mt Mazama erupted and caved in on itself. Crater lake National park is in southern Oregon. 

Name of a one hour Photo shop in Napa Valley
Prints charming 
Wood shop in Orick, California 
Come see what I saw
Bead shop in Garberville, California
Garden of beadin'
Bait store in Isleton, California
The master baiter
Craft shop in La Pine, Oregon
Why knot crafts
Copyright © 1999, Movin' On with Ron & BarbTM- All Rights Reserved

Click here to move to the October 1991 issue